To Non-Java ALLSTAR Network Website

                                                                                                                                                                        JAVA-capable browser required for graphic-based menus (Exploer 3.0 or Netscape 2.0 or greater)

Please let me remind all of you--this material is copyrighted.  Though partially funded by NASA, it is still a private site.  Therefore, before using our materials in any form, electronic or otherwise, you need to ask permission.
There are two ways to browse the site: (1) use the search button above to find specific materials using keywords; or,
(2) go to specific headings like history, principles or careers at specific levels above and click on the button.
Teachers may go directly to the Teachers' Guide from the For Teachers button above or site browse as in (1) and (2).

FAQnewred.gif (906 bytes)           


   The turbojet uses a series of fan-like compressor blades to bring air into the engine and compress it. An entire section of the turbojet engine performs this function, which can be compared to the compression stroke of the reciprocating engine. In this section, there is a series of rotor and stator blades. Rotor blades perform somewhat like propellers in that they gather and push air backward into the engine. The stator blades serve to straighten the flow of this air as it passes from one set of rotor blades to the next (see figure 6-7 ).

   As the air continues to be forced further into the engine, it travels from the low-compression set of rotors and stators to the high-compression set. This last set puts what we might say is the final squeeze on the air.

   The combustion chamber receives the high-pressure air, mixes fuel with it, and burns the mixture. The hot, very high-velocity gases produced strike the blades of the turbine and cause it to spin rapidly. The turbine is mounted on a shaft which is connected to the compressor. Thus, the spinning is what causes the compressor sections to function. After passing the turbine blades, the hot, highly accelerated gases go into the engine's exhaust section.

   The exhaust section of the jet engine is designed to give additional acceleration to the gases and thereby increase thrust. The exhaust section also serves to straighten the flow of the gases as they come from the turbine. Basically, the exhaust section is a cone mounted in the exhaust duct. This duct is also referred to as the tailpipe. The shape of the tailpipe varies, depending on the design operating temperatures and the speed-performance range of the engine.

   With all the heat produced in the turbojet engine, you probably wonder how it is kept from overheating. Like most aircraft reciprocating engines, the jet is also air-cooled. Of all the air coming into the compressor section, only about 25 percent is used to produce thrust; the remaining 75 percent passes around the combustion chamber and turbine area to serve as a coolant.

Send all comments to
1995-2018 ALLSTAR Network. All rights reserved worldwide.

Funded in part by NASA/LTP From
Civil Air Patrol
Educational Materials

Updated: March 12, 2004